PO Box 91515
Santa Barbara, CA 93190
Ph: (805) 259-3033
Fx: (805) 259-3033
The Santa Barbara Human Resources Association (SBHRA) is an affiliated Chapter of SHRM, the predominant national and international organization devoted to HR professional development. We are an individual membership association with approximately 200 HR professionals representing a wide variety of organizations primarily within Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.
Industries represented include (and are not limited to) financial, legal, manufacturing, consulting, HR services, municipal, retail, academic, tech, healthcare, hospitality, insurance, engineering, nonprofit, and agriculture.
Our members practice their craft within the following nine HR competencies:
- Relationship management
- Ethical practice
- HR expertise
- Business acumen
- Critical evaluation
- Global & cultural effectiveness
- Leadership navigation
?We hold nonprofit status as a 501(c)(6) educational organization, governed by a volunteer, working Board of Directors representing local businesses. We fulfill our mission by:
- developing HR professionals strategically and tactically through educational programming and association leadership participation.
- nurturing a supportive career network both online and at business networking events.
- serving as a community business and HR advocacy resource.
We began as the Santa Barbara Personnel Association in 1956. The organization was formed to exchange information on HR issues, stay current in the field, and promote professionalism within the HR field.
In 1986 we became an affiliated Chapter of SHRM, We believed then - as we do now - that our voluntary affiliation with SHRM benefits both the association and our members.
SHRM Chapter Obligations
As an affiliated SHRM Chapter, we actively attempt to fulfill our membership obligations. We provide:
- a local forum for personal and professional development within the HR field.
- an opportunity to develop leadership, managerial, public speaking, and group decision-making skills.
- educational programs open to members and the general public that offer recertification credits towards maintaining HR certification credentials.
- an extensive, local networking arena.
- a focus on employment legislation related to local, state, and national HR management issues.
We support an affiliated SHRM Student Chapter on the campus of UCSB Santa Barbara, known as the 'HR Club.' We are also a member of the California State Council of SHRM (CalSHRM).
SBHRA Membership & SHRM Membership
Our memberships are individually-based; we do not have corporate or institutional 'share-able' memberships. Additionally, membership in SBHRA is separate and apart from membership in national SHRM. We encourage you to become a member of both to reap local and global benefits.
- Learn about the value of SBHRA and SHRM dual memberships here.